In 1.8 million seconds, 30K minutes, 500 hours or basically 3 weeks we will be boarding a plane to Australia. We will be able to put into perspective all the things we have talked about and discover how this relates to Australia. In preparation for the trip we have listened to various presentations over varying topics from the currency in Australia to feedlots to emu production in Australia. We’ve also shared a couple meals together and tried to get to know each other a bit better before setting off halfway around the world with each other. The presentations have been informative and also humorous at times while we are learning about life in Australia.
Here are some quick facts that have been presented to us:
- In Australia there are 27.9 million head of beef cattle.
- 4% of the world’s beef supply is produced in Australia.
- There is a 95% voter turnout and if you fail to vote you could receive a $20 fine.
- There are 72.74 million head of sheep in Australia. (I guess that’s why there are so many Ugg boots)
- Australians eat 27.3 lbs of lamb a year whereas, only 40% of Americans have reported trying lamb.
- Australia consists of 6 states and 2 territories
- The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space.
- There are over 1500 kinds of fish throughout the Reef.
So, as the departure date looms my to do list is a mile and a half long but I am so excited for the new experiences that lie ahead. It will be exciting to experience the culture I have heard about. It will also be a once in a lifetime experience to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef. I also hope run into a few kangaroos or koalas while we're over there.(I'm not as big of a fan of crocodiles, but if we see a few it could be interesting.)
Needless to say, I am super excited to travel overseas for the first time and learn more about agriculture in Australia. Stay tuned for daily updates!
Until next time