Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 3: The rainy day

This morning started out with a look out the window and seeing pouring rain. What a way to start the day! No time could be wasted admiring it though as we needed to be out at 7:30 am. The first stop on the itinerary was the JBS packing facility. All I can say is, WOW! After donning our white smocks, rain boots, hairnets and earplugs we were all set to go to the floor to look at the meat production process. When switching from the all the different rooms, varying from the floors to the processing rooms we washed our hands and boots every time. All I can say is I washed my hands more in the couple hours than I probably had the past 2 days combined! This was a very eye opening experience, as I had never had the opportunity to go to a meat processing plant before. We truly were able to see almost the whole process from the beginning to the packaged product.

After lunch we were able to go to Webb Black Simmental, they are trying to spread the word to farmers through Australia about the benefits of Black Simmental. They were excited to see us and had a very impressive operation. Their barn was one of the cleanest I have ever been in! We were able to share some food and drink (carbonated lemonade and snacks) with them before we headed on our way to Seymour, where we are currently!

Upon our arrival in Seymour we checked into our motel. It’s in walking distance of a McDonalds!! (That means free WiFi!) Then we were able to go to eat in a local restaurant, called the Seymour Club. This was a very nice meal. I had roast beef with squash and mixed veggies. One wouldn’t think that roast beef would be that different from the US to Australia, but for some reason it had a different flavor. Nothing like our meat back at home! Then for dessert they served a fruit cocktail with ice cream on top. I had never heard of this before and it was quite,…different? Overall, the eating experience has been different from what we are used to.
Fruit salad and ice cream anyone? 

Before leaving for Australia I got a lot of advice on what to take, etc. Everyone said, it’s going to be chillier so dress for the weather. Well, when it’s almost summer back home it’s hard to revert back to fall clothes so I brought a hoodie and jacket and thought, “I’ll be plenty warm.” Well, needless to say, it’s colder than I thought and bus heaters are VERY slow to warm up.

That’s all for now!

-MaryAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment